S.O.G. -- Servants of God
Provided below is a basic job description of the volunteer S.O.G. Program here at CrossWoods.
Grade Requirement: Finished 10th Grade
Time Commitment: Varies
Responsibilities: SOG positions at CrossWoods are quite unique among summer camps in that each SOG member has the opportunity and responsibility for a number of functions.
Primary responsibilities include:
(1) helping in the kitchen (preparing, serving and cleaning up after meals)
(2) assisting in the regular cleaning of cabins and other CrossWoods buildings.
(3) helping with camp construction projects.
(4) assisting summer staff in running the camp store.
(5) leading special events such as adventure games, dances, tournaments, etc.
(6) serving as lifeguards (if so qualified and certified)
(7) assisting in the maintenance of adventure equipment.
In addition, SOG Crew members may be called upon to help with evening programs and to do other tasks as assigned.
Expectations: It is expected that all SOG members commit to working at CrossWoods for a period of no less than 2 weeks. CrossWoods depends heavily upon its SOG members to help provide participants with as meaningful and enjoyable an experience as possible. Therefore, CrossWoods expects the following from all its SOG members:
- A Willingness to Grow in One's Faith -- All SOG members are required to participate in staff Bible studies, and to be honest with themselves and with each other about personal faith issues.
- A Commitment to Be on Time -- All SOG members are to be responsible for their own schedule. Being on time (or preferably ahead of time) is key to the sense of professionalism that evokes confidence and trust from participants.
- A Willingness to Learn -- CrossWoods does not expect its SOG members to have all of the skills and knowledge already in hand to do the job that they are asked to do. We do, however, ask that all volunteers have a "teachable spirit" -- to be willing to ask questions, take positive criticism, and learn from their mistakes.
- A Willingness to Maintain a Professional Distance from Participants -- CrossWoods does not permit any of its employees or volunteers to use inappropriate language, to flirt, to date, or to make any sexual advances of any sort toward the students or adult counselors who come to our center as guests.
- A Willingness to Refrain from All Drugs and Alcohol -- CrossWoods does not permit the use of any drugs or alcohol by its employees or volunteers at any time.
Benefits: Each SOG member shall have from 3:00pm on Friday afternoon to 10:00am on Sunday morning off for rest and relaxation. During these times, SOG members are encouraged to stay at the CrossWoods Camp but may spend their time elsewhere if pre-arranged with the SOG Director. CrossWoods is unable, however, to provide transportation off-site for time off. CrossWoods provides Worker’s Compensation for all of its volunteers and employees. Students who participate in the SOG program are given very high consideration for future summer staff positions.
If you are interested in applying please fill out the S.O.G. application form as soon as it becomes available here.